Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Chasing the Sun... Bolinao, Pangasinan

"It's not the destination really - its about the journey..."


As soon as the "BER" month hit we were already looking forward to our year end trip. Its not like 2015 has been bad that we wanted it to end ASAP - accutally last year has been a very good "lakwatsera" year for me. I have exceeded my quota of hiking 2 mountains a year -  I even got to climb Mt. Arayat ( that has me limping for like a week after ) which is a semi major climb and the highest for me so far, been to Hulugan Falls - again the tallest falls I've ever seen to date. So yes, my wandering feet was really satisfied yet wanting for more.

We were already listing our options: Hiking, Beach, Falls, with other friends or just US Girls ( like what we did in Potipot Island last may ). With Chris (Marie's best friend from the US who became our friend also through constant chatting) coming home for vacation on December our destination was decided: We are going to finally go to Sorsogon to its famous pink sand - another place in our to go list. And yes, it will be an all girl trip :)

I got sick tho after our Hulugan Falls last October which lasted for almost two months (worst asthma attack for the last two years) - which means I stayed home during that time: no outdoor adventure, no staying out late, no drinking, no coffee (which I admit i cheated always) etc,. Everybody was like saying "Bundok pa more" because they all felt like I have reached my limit - which I most likely did.

So, as soon as the Calendar hits December I was practically counting down the days - all has been set, loose end has been tied, work has been covered and my bags has been packed. All I had to do is wait for the actual date and go.

ROAD BLOCK...

We all know that Philippines get an average eight or more typhoon a year that we can afford to name it alphabetically. A week before our schedule trip -  Surprise! a tropical storm suddenly decided to pay a visit. I was a little worried but still cool about it because Hello! LPA is our travel buddy and though it made our trip more challenging so far its hasn't screw any of our trip completely... UNTIL NOW! Typhoon Nona hits directly Sorsogon making it impossible for us to visit.

With exactly two days away we had to come up with a backup plan, because there's no way I'm letting this trip go to waste after practically being house arrest for two months!

OPTIONS. OPTIONS. OPTIONS!

We were racking our brain on where to go. Since Sorsogon is already out of the question its either we go to Caramoan or Calaguas but as we weigh our other options, another tropical storm is yet to hit the southern part of the country. So Camarines Sur / Norte is a no go. Baler "the surfing capital of the Philippines" sounds promising, I've heard the  beach is amazing plus we can go to the falls as a side trip but it was also affected by the typhoon and and some road is not passable due to land slide. Zamabales is another option - we've been there several times already (it was a lame suggestion actually but nevertheless an option) and being a regular we know the waves was not friendly there during this time of the year so I crossed it out of the possible destination because my friends tho fond of the beach but not really comfortable with big waves.

We really want to make this vacation count and we are running out of time so fast so Marie and I we're like talking to each other until 3am just so we could agree on the place. And so far we still could not make a decision.

I went home after work to just take a quick shower, grab my bag and go. 

I can still remember my conversation with my parents before I go "Tawag ka when you get there.. " then my dad looked at me and said "San nga kayo pupunta?" my answer was " Bahala na kung san' mapunta.. " which they answered with just a nod and remind me again to call "kung saan man kayo mapadpad". My parent we're so used to me going anywhere anytime that they don't really ask for details, we have long established that tho they are not comfortable with me going hiking or going to a remote beach they understood that I'm a free spirit - so they let me go on the condition that I was to be careful and go home unscathed.

Since we still don't have a solid plan on where we will go. We agreed to meet first in Makati to have dinner and well figure out where we will go.

With Effeng tasked to meet Chris at the airport it means that i will have to travel from cavite to makati ALONE! This is another first for me since I really don't travel outside Cavite on my own ( i think i spent the whole afternoon google-ing the direction not to mention hundred of text to Effeng on how to get there), thinking it was part of my year end adventure i was like hell! I can do this!

Marunong naman akong magbasa at magtanong, madami na naman akong load at mas madami akong pamasahe! So kiber kung maligaw! :)

Luckily I found out (contrary to my previous belief) that I'm really good at direction. I manage to get it on the first try! Hindi ako naligaw gaya ng kinakatakot ko :) well except from the part where Effeng said to look for a shell station as a landmark when in fact fact its a Petron station! Good thing some "good people" pointed me in the right direction.

Cavite - Makati Achieve! Now I just have to find Junction Hostel to meet up with my friends. Unfortunately going there presented a challenge since its rush hour-gimmick Friday there was no taxi even pedicab available so my only option is to walk! With Aiz on the phone walking me through on where street to turn and look out for land marks finally! I arrive at the hostel and just literally stash my bag and went out to have dinner at Marco Polo (I think) where we had a sumptuous dinner and a few drinks.:)

So back to our home base. It was 1am and time to get serious, we really need to plan a destination - and to settle the issue we got a piece of paper wrote down possible place and put it in a cup and pick. We jotted down several places: Cagbalete, Zamabales, Caramoan and Bolinao.

I watched as Chris drew a piece of paper from the mug... CAGBALETE island it said not my bet but I as I said "kahit saan matuloy lang!" With four hours left for us to get some sleep, we said our good mornight and bunk in our bed.

Received a text at 5 am: "Its raining cat and dogs here... i dont think it is possible to travel..." 

It took me a minute tho to figure out the text message - I was like crap! Seriously? The text belongs to my contact in cagbalete. I just closed my eyes took a deep breath cursed the rain and got my phone and begun to again search google and accuweather for "places with sunny weather"... time to move to Plan C. BOLINAO!

IF IT MEANT TO BE THEN IT WILL BE...

From that point after the text message from Cagbalete my focus is just finding a place without rain. I already sent a message to our contact in bolinao hoping to get positive response.

Did I already mention that I've been pinning for bolinao these past few months? And it has always been one of our choices from the start - only that we were looking for better options. But I guess faith has decided to intervene so it directed us to Bolinao.

Broke the bad news to Effeng ang Chris as soon a they woke up and we all decided to just grab our bags and throw all cautions to the wind. So with the sky pouring out gallons of rain, we headed out and went to the bus station.

Because no of us is an expert on commuting we kinda - well actually we had no idea how to go to the bus station :p The rain added to the challenge... yung tipong alam naming mukha kaming timang dahil nag lalakad kami sa kalasada na may malalaking bag basang basa dahil sadly isa lang ang dala naming payong at hindi sigurado kung saan pupunta... but then we really don't care. I personally am amused on how far we would go to have our much awaited vacation!

And with all we have been through for this year end vacation I am so looking forward to Bolinao that i didnt mind that we are an hour early before the bus departed, am soak and starting to get cold, that while walking in the rain i had to make a phone call at work for last minute instructions that we had to endure long travel hours from manila going to bolinao.

All in the name of chasing the Sun!



No comments:

Post a Comment