Friday, September 18, 2015

From North to South Peak....(Mt. Arayat 1,030+ MASL)



I don't know but think I'm starting to love the mountain as well as I love the beach...

The mud, the boulders, hours of walk, river crossing, hanging on roots, snake on top of the tree etc. is starting to grow on me. In short I like the challenge - it gets me out of my comfort zone, it pushes me to my limit, force me to deal.

So when my very good college buddy Mitch (who i haven't see since we graduated from college - which is more or less 8 years ago) asked me if I wanted to join their Mt. Arayat climb my answer was outright YES! I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to reconnect with her.

Arayat semi major climb!?

Grabbing the chance to get together as usual I did not think first before saying YES thinking it was "just another climb". Tho I heard and know Mt. Arayat  from Geography and Folklore class during high school I did not take into consideration the MASL nor the difficulty level. So when I actually been able to check the blogs regarding Mt. Arayat i was like "what i have gotten myself into this time???" the first thing my eyes zoomed in the search engine was the word TRAVERSE.

Hindi pa nga ako nakaka recover sa balagbag tapos ito naman!

But then I always like a good challenge so there's no way I'm backing out on this one.


THIS IS IT! April 4, 2015 - Black Saturday.

This is it! Despite the bad weather forecast the group pushes through.

Meet up at Farmers 8am - meaning i'd have to wake up early to meet Mitch and Jen in Alabang (for a "lakwatsera" like me, commuting through the Metro is a nightmare) at Six.

Cyrus - the organizer was able to arrange transportation from the drop off points (SM Pampanga) to the jump off point in Magalang. Manong Rudy was kind enough to let us buy first the essentials - water (lots of it) and other food before dropping us off to start the climb.

The early birds... Farmers QC

Drop Off SM Pampanga.
Cyrus, Basi, Richard, Sir Jun, Ate Chery, Beng, Mench, Myself, Jen and Mitch

We started at 1 pm rather late than the original plan. Estimated time to reach the north peak was 5 hours so we had to hurry.

Mt. Arayat is also popular for the station of the cross and because its Holy week there are several groups doing the station of the cross, our ride can only take us as far as the 3rd station and between the 3rd station to the 14th is quite a walk - bare trail, all ascending.

station of the cross
first 2 hours of trekking and I was already feeling the strain, the Blogs were not exaggerating when they said that the trails all rock, boulders and assault!

Had to go over those huge boulders!
after this point it was all assault. We literally had to crawl our way up...

REST! Inhale Exhale... Smile!
Our Back up!

45 degree angle up to reach the north peak
We wanted to reach the North peak before sunset but unfortunately we wasn't able to reach the base on time.

Few steps away from the base camp






Boys will be boys...

After a quick dinner and a little social. We (girls) decided to call it a night while the boys decided to stay a little longer. And since it is way too early for me to sleep i decided to read a little - I'm tired like the rest but sleeping is not one of my talents :).

So the conversation outside the tent begins.... It turns out that the men have some concerns for tomorrows hike to the south peak. I swear I appreciate - touched even that they were worried about us (girls) because really, the hike to north peak is not easy and the trail to the south peak is a lot "challenging" and it will be difficult for them to see us struggle. Sweet diba until one I don't know if it is Cyrus or Rael (anyone of them is my suspect) "suggested" to send us on our way down in the morning (they plan to bribe us with the natural pools) and wait for them while they continue for the South Peak. 

I was like NO WAY! nadito na kami so me might as well go on. The gesture was sweet but I'm sure some of us girls wont find the "suggestion" appealing. 

Good Morning North Peak!

Last complete group picture before finding the South Peak Trail
Wrong Way...

Having no Guide means we have start early in search for the trail going to the south peak - of course after subtly "joking" to the men as I hand them their coffee that I heard their "suggestion" and tho I find them the most sweetest, thoughtful and the act very gentlemanly still asking us not to go on is kind of "rude".

Seeing their embarrassment of not realizing one of us might still be awake and must have heard their conversation the night before - i'd say we're even :p

Unfortunately we took the wrong trail so instead of the South Peak we found our self back on the fork trail leading to the old and new trail going to North Peak. At this point we were again exhausted with limited amount of water.

dahil naliligaw kami rest muna...
I think this was before my little "dulas" moment which sends me sliding down a feet or so...


Mench

Richard

Good thing the Guide we met the day before catches up at us so this time we wont be lost going to the South peak. So, the voting whether to continue starts.

Husband and wife (sir Jun and Ate Cherry), Basi and Beng opt out. Which leaves us (Cyrus, Rael, Richard, Mitch, Jen, Mench) to continue. 

Mitch and Mike










Living on the edge shot!


South Peak...

Traversing for me is not really one of my fondest moment in Arayat but then I enjoyed the challenge.

spell TIRED!


On top of WHITE ROCK! (yeah!)

Team Pasaway! We were able to climb the white rock with out the aid of a rope. Just sheer will :)

Mench... problemado na kung paano bababa :p

Team Pasaway!


on top of white rock... i can see the south peak from where I'm sitting

Kuya Benj and Mike (Guide) were very helpful. They not only helped us not get lost but also took us to some place we sure would have missed if we went on our own own.


Little inspiration along the way... There's still hope for the youth!

Mike a fourteen year old newbie guide inspires me. While guiding us he kept on picking up trash left by others along the way. I can even hear him ranting about how could others leave their trash behind clearly he was upset because their mountain was violated.

"Daming kalat! Paano na yung mga susunod na aakyat? Basura na lang ung aabutan ng mga susunod na aakyat!" He said which is my sentiments exactly.

And I admire the boy because he never stops picking up "remnants" from other hikers. He got his hand/ plastic bag full by the time we reach the road. 


From North to South Peak...

As far as pushing my limit this hike definitely put that statement to the test!

One of my bravest and craziest climb so far.

I love that this experience not only reunite me with my college buddy but gave the opportunity to meet new friends as well. Super thankful because they took care of me (tho I may have took a few years out of Cyrus, Rael and Kuya Benj life during my little "slip" at the White Rock) Again all the pains, dirt and cuts were more than worth it!


Survival in Mt. Arayat 101:
  • Pack as light as you can. The trail is steep -  mostly ascend and boulders so heavy pack can be a real bummer.
  • Bring plenty (as in plenty) of water - Gatorade also. 
  • Bring gloves. I was so glad i remember the gloves it really help protects my hand from sharp rocks and rough roots. 
  • Shoes. I was debating over shoes or sandals. I usually wear sandals but I'm glad the shoes won I can just imagine the blisters and broken nails I might get during the hike.
  • Bring plenty of trail food. Its a good eight hour walk so munching on something not only fuels up your body but also distracts you from being tired :)
  • Be mindful of the loose rocks and weak roots. The root i was holding on to snaps which sends me sliding a few scary but fun feet ahead of my friends. (i think i gave them quite a scare after that)
  • Loose the attitude! Nobody forces you to go. So ranting about how tired, hungry and achy you are will not help.

No comments:

Post a Comment